14 July, 2010

Once upon a duvet




Once upon a time there lived a king size pottery barn duvet that longed for adventure.  After serving it's time on the master's bed, it was folded up and placed in the the dark, lonely linen closet for 8 long years.  The master's wife loved the duvet more than all the others and would come to the closet to visit her beloved duvet often.
She would take the duvet out, feel it's smooth fabric, and tell it about all the beautiful things it could become.  She talked of aprons, pillows, curtains, and tote bags  as the duvet drooled from it's hidden button placket.   The duvet waited and waited longing for it's unfulfilled dream to some day come true.




Remember Julie Andrews curtains into play clothes undertaking in the Sound of Music (my favorite movie of all time)?  Maria wasn't a problem.  She was a woman after my own heart!  


Do you know how many things you can make from a king size duvet?  This french print is such a vibrant, gorgeous china blue. I knew I would  use it in many other projects.  So far I've made a couple of these zippered throw pillows (pictured above).  I'm working on an apron, and planning  a skirt for my studio table.   I don't believe I'll ever tire of this print. 


So...next time you're in the market for fabric, rethink what you have around your place that you could use instead.  Recycle a bedspread, a duvet, etc.. into something new with minimal cost.  


Now....go sew something.  









No comments:

Post a Comment