22 September, 2010

Tennessee History

One thing I love about Nashville and the surrounding areas is the rich history here.  While driving around the other night my youngest son and I found the Battle of Nashville monument.  Just knowing we were standing in a spot where the battle was fought gave me chills.  I love civil war history.  I love all history really.
 Here's a little info (forgive my copy and pasting Wiki) :)
The Battle of Nashville was a two-day battle in the Franklin-Nashville Campaign that represented the end of large-scale fighting in the Western Theater of the American Civil War. It was fought at Nashville, Tennessee, on December 15–16, 1864, between the Confederate Army of Tennessee under Lt. Gen. John Bell Hood and Federal forces under Maj. Gen. George H. Thomas. In one of the largest victories achieved by the Union Army during the war, Thomas attacked and routed Hood's army, largely destroying it as an effective fighting force.

No comments:

Post a Comment