20 April, 2011

greek salad with chicken

I got the idea for a greek salad after reading a post from the pioneer woman earlier in the week.   I knew that if I made it for a meal, I'd have to add meat for the men in my family.  No amount of feta cheese was going to change that.  PW also suggested serving the salad and chicken in a tortilla; I'm definitely doing that next time I make it.
This salad turned out so good and something I will be making on a regular basis, especially with warm weather on the way.  I also sauteed chicken in olive oil with minced garlic and seasoned it well.  My two younger boys loved it (even my veggie protester said he loved the way the salad and chicken tasted together)!
Greek Salad and chicken
 Head of romaine
2 tomatoes, chopped (get the best firm, flavorful tomatoes you can find)
1 cucumber, peeled and chopped
some red onion, chopped
Kalamata olives, halved
some parsley, chopped
1/2 c. feta cheese
chop the romaine and place in the bottom of the bowl.  Add each ingredient on top of the romaine side by side.   make dressing and saute chicken if desired.


dressing
1/4 c. olive oil
2 T. red wine vinegar
clove of minced garlic
2 t. sugar
handful of kalamata olives, minced
salt and pepper


whisk together and pour over salad.  mix it all together gently and serve right away. serve chicken on top or separately.

No comments:

Post a Comment