02 May, 2011

grit bowls

Forget all the derogatory things you have heard about grits. If you've never tried them, how could you really know if you don't like 'em?  Maybe you won't like 'em, but know for sure.  I think you may be missing out on something pretty delicious. 

Have you ever eaten polenta at a nice restaurant?  If you have, you've eaten grits! You can add so many things to grits--savory or sweet.  My favorite way to eat them is in what I call a grit bowl. Grits seasoned up well on the bottom and whatever you like on top. And then, lastly, topped with an egg, any way you like it.  

I use quick grits.  Quick grits are really good. I make my grits in the microwave. Follow directions on the back of the box. 1/4 c. of grits and 3/4 c. water.  Microwave 2-3 minutes depending on the consistency you like.  I usually cook them about 2 1/2 minutes. You definitely need to season the grits well to your liking.
Once they come out of the microwave I stir in a some butter, salt, fresh ground pepper, and a few shreds of my favorite cheese, Cabot extra sharp. I find it in my Kroger's deli case. 





You can add whatever you like to your grits.  If you have sausage or bacon, that is great crumbled up in there, or some fried potatoes or other veggie. You could really get creative. Today I just topped the grits with a fried over-medium egg. Give grits a try.  You may be surprised at how delicious they are. :) 

1 comment:

  1. You're so right, I love grits! I've never had them like this, though. I'll have to give your recipe a try! Thanks for sharing, and thanks for using Cabot cheese :)
    ~Jacquelyn

    ReplyDelete