24 June, 2012

The little oven that could!

When it's 101 degrees outside and you're craving some brownies, but you can't stand the heat generated from the heat monster known as your oven, utilize your toaster oven!  In the summer time I use my toaster oven for most all of my baking. I use it to heat up pizzas, hot sandwiches, and leftovers for my boys, but I also use it to make brownies or small cakes.  The heat can sometimes be a bit uneven, but it gets the job done.  I also make things like baked chicken or cubed steak n gravy for supper in the little oven that could. 


Here's a good brownie recipe:
  • 1/2 cup sugar 
  • 3 T. butter
  • 2 T. water
  • 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips (semi-sweet)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 t. vanilla extract
  • 2/3 c.  flour
  • 1/4 t. baking soda
  • 1/2 t. salt

  • Preheat the oven to 325. Butter an 8x8 inch square pan.
  • In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar, butter and water. Cook over medium heat until boiling. Remove from heat and stir in chocolate chips until melted and smooth. Mix in the eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; stir into the chocolate mixture. Spread evenly into the prepared pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until brownies set up. Don't overbake! Cool before cutting.

No comments:

Post a Comment