14 June, 2012

basil -n- anchovy pesto


This week found me perusing the internet for ways to use up my ever bountiful basil that is flourishing from what started with one wee little plant.  I love pesto and I do make a few batches of that each summer.  I was really excited when I came across a few similar recipes for a pesto recipe using basil and another one of my favorite ingredients---wait for it............flavor packed anchovies!  If you're not a fan of the salty little fishes... have you really ever tried 'em? They are one of my favorite ingredients to use in pasta sauces, salads, and condiment type sauces like this one. I would encourage you to start small and try incorporating small amounts in recipes that call for them or are compatible with their flavors.  I experimented with a few different pesto recipes and came up with this delicious fusion.  So it's basil -n- anchovy pesto!  


Basil-n-anchovy pesto:
4 cloves garlic, peeled
2 cups loosely packed fresh basil leaves
1/4 cup pine nuts or walnuts, toasted
1/2 cup fresh Italian parsley leaves
1 T. drained capers
2 T. white wine vinegar
1-2 T. Progresso Italian breadcrumbs
8-10 anchovy fillets, drained (don't throw out the oil in the tin)
1 T. anchovy oil from the tin
fresh ground pepper
1/2 to 3/4 cup olive oil 

Clean and dry your herbs. Combine everything in a food processor EXCEPT the olive oil.  Pour olive oil in slowly until you get the texture you like.  Taste and adjust ingredients to you liking.  I added more anchovies and anchovy oil to mine but it's up to your taste.

My son who is an anchovy lover like me has asked me to make homemade pizzas using this as the pizza sauce.  His favorite pizza is pepperoni, jalapeno, and anchovy! Will document using this as pizza sauce in a future post.

No comments:

Post a Comment