27 December, 2010

Matzo ball soup


I've always wanted to make matzo ball soup.  Today, I finally did.  The matzo balls are like nothing I've ever tasted.  They are kind of a cross between a dumpling and a meatball (no meat tho').  My middle son enjoyed this and my husband actually ate 4 matzo balls.  That could have been because he was under the impression there was chicken in the "meat"balls.  As he was eating and grabbing himself two more matzo balls I had to mask my smile (almost a laugh) with a mouthful of soup or he would have been suspicious.   I enjoyed this soup very much.  By the way, this recipe, I've been told, is not kosher.  That doesn't matter to me one way or the other but I thought I'd mention it.  Have a wonderful evening. :)
MATZO BALL SOUP 

  • 1/2 c. matzo meal
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 3 eggs
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
  • 1 onion, minced
  • more matzo meal as needed
  • 96 ounces chicken broth (I use low sodium)

  • Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat and stir in matzo meal.  Stir until mixture is dry and slightly brown. Remove from heat and stir in eggs, salt and pepper to taste, parsley, and onions.  Mix iin more matzo meal to make mixture hold together. Make them into balls rolling them in your hand.  In a large saucepan, bring chicken broth to a slow boil over medium heat; drip the balls in the broth. When they rise to the top they're ready or you can let them stay in longer to soak up more chicken broth flavor. I like to take them out when they're done.  Serve soup as the balls rise to the top of the broth.  Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment