07 March, 2011

Thai Green Curry with chicken

As I've said many times before--Thai is one of my favorite foods to make and eat.  (Green curry being my particular favorite dish).
If you're interested in cooking real Thai food, a trip to to your local International Market is likely in order to pick up a couple things not available in your regular supermarket.

The stars of this recipe are green curry and coconut milk.  These are the brands I use most.  Mae Ploy coconut milk is the best in my opinion.  I also like Mae Ploy green curry but it wasn't available.  Maesri brand is good too.  You may be able to get the coconut milk at your local grocer  but for an good and more authentic curry paste I'd definitely head to the International Market.  If you've never been "International-Marketing"--prepare yourself.  Fresh fish and all kinds of other fresh stanky protein really create a disgusting strong aroma in most markets I frequent.  Young children don't usually do well with the smell.  My boys (now that they're older) actually love to watch the fish mongers gutting fish and cutting off their heads right in front of them.  It's a boy thing.
  I always use Bamboo shoots in my curry which is pretty common.  You can also add Thai eggplant or regular eggplant but I usually don't

Use Jasmine rice.  The smell of it cooking is heaven.
What would I do without my rice cooker.  I use is constantly.  For excellent rice it's so worth getting one

Here's the recipe:

Green curry:
1/4 to 3/4 c. green curry paste (depending on how hot you like it)
1 can coconut milk
1 large carrot, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped (or  1/2 green, 1/2 red for extra color)
big handful of bamboo shoots, drained
2-3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in small chunks
2 c. water
2 T. sugar
1 t. salt
jasmine rice
Turn your burner on medium and add your green curry.  This is kind of like "frying" the curry.  Now turn the burner on medium high and add half of the can of coconut milk and stir it for a couple minutes until it's smooth
So after a couple (2) minutes it looks like this.
Now add your 2 c. water and stir until smooth
Make sure your curry/milk is on medium high (let it come up to a soft boil)
and then add your chicken

This was 3 breasts
Let the chicken cook until it's completely done and then add your veggies

I don't let the veggies cook too long.  I like a little crunchiness left.
Now add the other half of your can of coconut milk,your sugar, salt and the lastly BASIL!  Stir gently. done.

Serve with the jasmine rice. 
It's so easy and I bet you love it! 


No comments:

Post a Comment