12 September, 2011

Pie is the new cupcake







Cupcakes are so yesterday.  Pie is where it's at these days.  It's not that I don't like cupcakes (truthfully they're not my preference) but I'm really just over the cupcake craze.  Bring on the pie!


As I welcome fall weather I have a few pies on my list that I've been wanting to make.  As I've stated before I don't run my oven from May to August.  September can also be somewhat iffy depending on the temps here in Tennessee.  This was the reason I used a pre-made graham cracker crust for this pie.  Homemade pie crust would be much better though and I will do that next time.


Banoffee pie originated in England.  It was first made in 1972 at a pub called The Hungry Monk. The ingredients are caramel made from cooking cans of sweetened condensed milk, bananas, and whipped cream.  So here's what you'll need:


Banoffee pie


  • 2 cans sweetened condensed milk
  • your favorite pie crust
  • 3 large bananas
  • 1 1/2 cups whipped and chilled heavy cream
  • 1 tablespoon packed light brown sugar

Preheat oven to 425.
Pour condensed milk into pie plate. Cover pie plate with foil and crimp foil tightly around rim. Put in a roasting pan, then add enough boiling-hot water to reach halfway up side of pie plate, making sure that foil is above water. Bake, refilling pan to halfway with water about every 40 minutes, until milk is thick and a deep golden caramel color, about 2 hours. Remove pie plate from water bath and transfer toffee to a bowl, then chill toffee, uncovered, until it is cold, about 1 hour.
While toffee is chilling bake your crust if using a traditional one. If using a graham cracker crust no baking is needed. Cool piecrust completely in pan on a rack, about 20 minutes.
Spread toffee evenly in crust, and chill, uncovered, 15 minutes.
Cut bananas into 1/4-inch-thick slices and pile over toffee.
Beat cream with brown sugar in a clean bowl with an electric mixer until it just holds soft peaks, then mound over top of pie.

My boys and husband say this is one of the best pies they've ever tasted!


No comments:

Post a Comment