06 January, 2011

Ola--Granola!





  • I don't know why I don't make it more often.  It's so good and as my kids get a bit older and are beginning to like more things I won't be the only one eating it.  If you do happen to be the only one eating it, it keeps well in an air tight container or in your freezer for a long while.  Feel free to substitute your favorite nuts or dried fruits.  I've made it with many different combinations I've had on hand and it's always delicious.  I always double the recipe.
  • GRANOLA
  •   3 c. old fashioned rolled oats
  •   1 cup slivered almonds
  •   1/2 c. pecans
  •   1/2 c. walnuts 
  •   1/4 c. sunflower seeds
  •   3/4 cup shredded sweet coconut
  •   1/4 cup wheat germ
  •   1/4 cup dark brown sugar
  •   1/4 cup pure maple syrup
  •   1/4 cup honey
  •   1/4 cup vegetable oil
  •   3/4 teaspoon salt
  •   1/2 c. dates (my favorite)
  •   1 cup raisins
Preheat oven to 250 degrees 









In a large bowl, combine the oats, nuts, coconut, wheat germ, and brown sugar.

In a separate bowl, combine maple syrup, honey, oil, and salt.









 Combine both mixtures and pour onto 2 sheet pans. Cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes to achieve an even color.





Remove from oven.  See how it got nice and brown?  Now add raisins and dates and mix until evenly distributed.
Granola is delicious anytime.  This is ReAl wholesome cereal you made all by yourself!  A couple handfuls in the afternoon make for a great pick- me- up snack.  I also love to eat it with yogurt.  
Granola is good.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment