22 January, 2011

Pancake & Sausage Poegriddles

McDonald's is probably my least favorite fast food place.  I rarely if never take my kids there to eat and actually find their coffee the only redeemable product they serve.  Unfortunately, my kids do happen to like their McGriddle breakfast sandwiches.  I haven't eaten one in years but they are undeniably good and I've always wanted to make my own at home.  I can control how much sugar and salt go into this homemade version.                                                  

So start out with your favorite pancake recipe and your favorite roll sausage.  I use Tennessee Pride sausage and make thin patties about 3-4" in diameter.  Fry these up while you prepare your pancakes.
My buttermilk pancake recipe is
1 c. flour
2 T. sugar
1 egg
1 T. baking powder
dash salt
1 c. buttermilk
little milk for thinning
2 T. canola oil
mix all this together lightly, don't overmix.  For the Poegriddle pancakes I used a little extra milk to thin out the batter.  You want a thinner pancake, not a thick, puffy one to make these.
When you pour the batter on your griddle let it cook a little until you see the bubbles and the edges are dry.  At this point take some real maple syrup and lightly drizzle some around the pancake.  Wait a little while and then flip the pancake.



I use Costco's Kirkland brand real maple syrup (below)
Drain the sausage on paper towels and when the pancakes are cooked and cooled assemble your Poegriddles. You can add a fried egg and some cheese too if you like. This one was for my youngest son and he likes sausage only.  

These were really delicious and didn't take much time.  The pancake batter can be stored in the fridge a couple days.  Give them a try and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment