12 January, 2011

Spicy Minestrone

As these frigid days of winter rage on so does my search for new soup recipes  that are satisfying and simple to make.  Chili, hamburger soup, beef stew, and ham and bean are the usual suspects in my soup repertoire.  Here is a recipe I've been looking at for awhile now.  It's from my church cookbook and it's from a lady named Rhonda P.  I love minestrone and one with some meat in it is even better.  My husband and boys would simply laugh at any supper served them absent of meat.  I don't care either way but the sausage gives it great flavor anyway.  It's a man thing.
SPICY MINESTRONE: serves 8-10
5 slices bacon, diced uncooked
2 c. onion, chopped
1 c. celery, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 1/2 c. fresh mushrooms, chopped
1 lb. sausage (I used hot Jimmy Dean)
8 c. beef stock
2 T. basil
1/2 c. fresh parsley, chopped
1/2 t. cayenne
1/2 t. black pepper
1 t. salt
2 c. potatoes, diced
28 oz. can tomatoes, cut up with juice
1 c. egg noodles
4 c. spinach, torn into small pieces
grated Romano or Parmesan
Saute bacon, onion, celery, garlic, mushrooms for about 10 minutes, adding a little butter if necessary.  Add remaining ingredients except cheese and simmer 1-2 hours.  Top with grated cheese.  
I served with garlic cheese bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment