17 January, 2011

Seared Salmon with balsamic glaze

My whole family enjoys salmon.  I usually end up just drizzling olive oil over it, sprinkling it with a good fish seasoning, wrapping it up in heavy foil, and baking it at 425 for around 20 minutes.  It's delicious this way, but my boys asked for a sweet glaze tonight and so I looked for a recipe.  This recipe is another one from my church cookbook.  It's also from Rhonda P (the same lady with the spicy minestrone).  She is two for two so far.  :)
This was an awesome change from our usual way of eating salmon and the balsamic sauce was tangy and quite delicious with the fish.  This recipe is a keeper.

SEARED SALMON WITH BALSAMIC GLAZE:
1/4 c. balsamic vinegar
1/4 c. water
1 1/2 T. lemon juice
4 t. packed light brown sugar
4 salmon fillets
2 t. vegetable oil
Stir together vinegar, water, lemon juice, and brown sugar.  Pat the salmon dry and season with salt and pepper.  Heat oil in a 12" non stick skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking.  Increase heat to high and sear salmon, skin sides up, until well browned, about 4 minutes.  Turn fish over and sear until just cooked through, 3-4 minutes more.  Transfer salmon to plates and carefully add vinegar mixture to skillet (liquid will bubble vigorously and steam)  Simmer stirring until thickened and reduced to about 1/2 c. about 2 minutes.  Spoon the glaze over the salmon.




Pat the fish dry and season with salt and pepper
 Sear the fillets skin side down in the hot pan.  Doesn't that look good?

My pictures weren't that great tonight.  My boys were in a hurry to eat and I didn't have time to set up a good shot.  It was delicious.  Trust me.

No comments:

Post a Comment