27 October, 2010

Roasted Chicken with vegetables

ROASTED CHICKEN WITH VEGETABLES:


Roasted chicken is a great dish any time of year, but it seems fitting for fall.  Maybe it's the glistening hues of the orange carrots or the roasted browned chicken that are reminiscent of fall to me. When the cooler weather hits here in TN I use my oven 100% more than I have in the past 6 months, so it's kind of exciting when I get to crank it up once again.  I know my hubs, DLP is more than elated when it happens. :)  My boys get pretty din-din happy too about it.
Roast chicken is something that anyone can make.  If you can't cook and you'd like to impress someone-roasted chicken is your dish.  Easy and decadent at the same time.
I don't have a set recipe.  I will give you my amounts of what I usually use (which can depend on what I have on hand).  You really can't mess this one up.  Trust me. 
I buy the big roaster chickens so I don't have to mess with gross giblets, necks, all that other ishiness (yes, that's a word my Swedish grandma uttered frequently when she was in the presence of grossness.)  I miss her.  She'd dig this chicken, no doubt.  
Roast Chicken with Vegetables
1 large roaster chicken (5-6 lbs is good) 
2 garlic heads
rosemary sprigs (if you don't have fresh use dried, but crush them in your hand to release aroma)
fresh thyme (if you don't have fresh you can use dried)
4 T. melted butter
kosher salt
fresh ground black pepper
potatoes, chunked BIG (1 potato per person)
2 large onions, chunked up big pieces
4 carrots, sliced in 2 " chunks
celery, sliced 2" chunks (optional)
1 c. chicken broth
tin foil
roasting pan 
1. Start by cleaning your chicken well and then patting dry.
I lined my roasting pan with foil which saves a lot of pan scrubbing later.  Take the bird and place in in your roasting pan.  
2. I then take 5-6 garlic cloves peeled put it inside the cavity.  If you have fresh thyme and rosemary put it in the cavity too.  This time I just sprinkled a little bit of dried thyme (don't overdue it)  and dried rosemary into the cavity also.  Liberally sprinkle kosher salt inside the bird.
3. Now melt your butter.  Brush the butter on the skin all over on the outside and then sprinkle with salt and fresh ground black pepper.  Cut little slits in the skin and put a few garlic cloves underneath it.  See the bumps under the skin in my photo below?  Those are garlic cloves.  It gives fabulous flavor.
4. Cut up your veggies.  I cut up the potatoes (big chunks), carrots (2"chunks), onions (big chunks), and celery if you prefer in 2" chunks also.  Toss them w/ some (1 T.) olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.  Add some garlic cloves to the veggies too.   5. Toss with clean hands and spread the veggies all around your chicken.   6. Pour 1 c. chicken broth over the veggies. 7.  Bake uncovered in a 375 degree oven for 2 hours. 
The picture says 325 degrees but I changed it to 375.  Oh the smells that will fill your house!


                    Dear Mr. Chicken,


                    I just want to say you look maaaavelooos, and thank you


                   in advance for your deliciousness.  :)
                                      


                                        
                               All dressed and ready to roast
                                 You gotta peek in on it a couple times.


When you take it out of the oven, let it sit about 15-20 min before you cut it.  This lets the juices redistribute through the bird so it stays juicy when you cut into it.
  Let me just say this was absolutely delicious. My family had seconds and thirds even!


                      Now, go roast your own chicken.





1 comment:

  1. Daddy like. This was a great meal. I love you Shantell. Thanks!!!!

    ReplyDelete